We’ve received many messages from our readers asking us to write this Banyan Botanicals Bacopa Powder review. The herbal supplement made by Banyan Botanicals is one of the highest-rated Bacopa-based supplements available on Amazon. So, is it really that good?
Our Banyan Botanicals Bacopa Powder review will focus on several critical aspects of the product: claimed benefits, effectiveness, potential side effects, the price per serving, best stores to buy it from, and some good alternatives for those who are not convinced of its benefits.
- What Is Banyan Botanicals Bacopa Powder?
- Who Makes It?
- Banyan Botanicals Bacopa Powder Ingredients
- How Much Does It Cost?
- Where To Buy Banyan Botanicals Bacopa Powder?
- Banyan Botanicals Bacopa Powder Side Effects
- Bacopa Powder Review – Pros & Cons
- Bacopa Powder Reviews
What Is Banyan Botanicals Bacopa Powder?
Banyan Botanicals Bacopa Powder is advertised as an Ayurvedic herb extract for memory and focus.
As the name suggests, this herbal supplement contains Bacopa powder, an Ayurvedic herb renowned for its ability to relieve stress and tension throughout the nervous system, while simultaneously enhancing memory, calming and rejuvenating the mind, and improving concentration.
Who Makes It?
Bacopa Powder is made by Banyan Botanicals, a dietary supplements manufacturer founded in 1996 by Kevin Casey and Scott Cote in Albuquerque, New Mexico. In 1998, Scott Cote used his expertise in formulating to create the Banyan Botanicals brand of herbal tablets.
Beginning with nine herbal supplements, including some trendy products like Mental Clarity and Stress Ease, their product catalog has now grown to over 40 offerings.
Today, Banyan Botanicals has grown into one of the best selling herbal supplements manufacturers in the United States. Some of their big hits include products like Healthy Skin Tablets, Joint Support, Stress Ease, Tranquil Mind, Mental Clarity, I Sleep Soundly, and Bacopa Powder.
Banyan Botanicals Bacopa Powder Ingredients
The following section of our Banyan Botanicals Bacopa Powder review will focus on what’s actually inside the formulation. As this particular herbal brain supplement only contains Bacopa powder, we will take a look over some of Bacopa’s benefits for cognitive health.
Bacopa Powder includes the following active ingredients: Bacopa Powder.
How Does Bacopa Monnieri Work?
Bacopa Monnieri (shares the common name Brahmi with another Ayurvedic herb, Gotu Kola) is a small water-loving plant, which grows in tidal lands, ponds, and wetlands in subtropical and tropical areas.
The term Brahmi originates from the Hindu god Brahma, which relates to the feminine aspect of Brahman. Brahman is the spiritual “essence of the source from which all created beings spring, or with which they are identified and to which they return at the time of death.”
Brahman is also referred to as the ‘cosmic consciousness,’ leading Bacopa to be associated with concentration, learning, knowledge, and memory.
Traditionally, Bacopa Monnieri was used in many conditions hurting the mind and nervous system. The aerial parts can be eaten fresh, or the whole plant can be dried and used medicinally. In traditional Ayurvedic medicine, Bacopa was used tonically to improve intellect and longevity.
Modern research on Bacopa Monnieri shows that extracts from this plant can enhance various cognitive functions in healthy college students. Other studies suggest that Bacopa Monnieri lowers the rate of forgetting newly acquired information in healthy adults and may promote cognitive processes in healthy humans.
Bacopa Monnieri is commonly referred to as a nootropic, and for a good reason. It has been shown to protect brain cells from harmful chemicals that are responsible for neurological diseases linked to cognition and memory, such as Alzheimer’s disease.
Brahmi can also improve brain function, help repair neurons that have become damaged, and improve neuron communication. Furthermore, extracts of this plant have been shown to regulate the body’s response to both chronic and acute stress and may act as a potent adaptogen.
Brahmi may increase the effects of crucial neurotransmitters, such as dopamine, serotonin, noradrenaline, and acetylcholine, which can help you achieve a sense of calm and maintain mood equilibrium.
An imbalance (often too little) of these critical neurotransmitters is believed to play a significant role in many mental illnesses, including bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety, and schizophrenia. Brahmi can make an excellent mood booster and natural antidepressant that lacks the horrible side effects of most prescription drugs.
How Much Does It Cost?
Banyan Botanicals Bacopa Powder is available for purchase in three different packages:
- Spice jar 2.4 oz (68 g) – $7.99;
- Medium pack 1/2 lb (227 g) – $14.99;
- Large pack 1 lb (454 g) – $24.99.
Where To Buy Banyan Botanicals Bacopa Powder?
You can order Bacopa Powder from Banyan Botanicals directly or from various online stores such as:
- Ayurvedic Herbs Direct
- Shop Healthy
Banyan Botanicals Bacopa Powder Side Effects
There aren’t enough clinical studies on whether the plant interacts with prescriptions, including those that act on neurotransmitters.
That being said, interactions may occur with thyroid hormones, medications for Alzheimer’s disease, drugs that are changed by the liver, cholinergic drugs, anticholinergic drugs, and acetylcholinesterase inhibitors.
Brahmi may also alter levels of neurotransmitters such as GABA, dopamine, and serotonin. The herb may also increase calcium levels in the blood, according to one clinical trial.
Bacopa may cause side effects such as stomach cramps, nausea, bloating, increased bowel movements, diarrhea, fatigue, and dry mouth.
Bacopa Powder Review – Pros & Cons
Bacopa Powder Reviews
1/4 tsp gives a noticeable change for my severely ADD kiddos. How much is safe? I don’t know, but they’ve been using this stuff in […] Read the full comment
Well, Bacopa. What a product. I haven’t gotten this in a powder form before, but powders are usually cheaper, and you can just […] Read the full comment
Have used bacopa monnieri on and off for more than a decade now. When I first bought it, it was due to my having mistaken it for some other supplement, one which is said to be good for […] Read the full comment
There are some potential alternatives to Banyan Botanicals Bacopa Powder.
Organic Brahmi Leaves Powder made by Merlion Naturals – This organic Brahmi leaves extract could be an excellent alternative to Bacopa Powder. The supplement is available in 8 ounces packs for $12.99 or 16 ounces (2 packages) at a discounted price of $22.99.
Organic Brahmi Leaves Powder claimed benefits include:
- Vegan, gluten-free, non-GMO;
- USDA Organic Certified;
- Children can use it.
Organic Brahmi Powder made by Mi Nature – another high-quality Bacopa Monnieri extract advertised to support hair growth and brain function. This supplement comes in 1 lb (16 oz/454g) resealable pouches.
Organic Brahmi Powder claimed benefits include:
- Non Addictive brain tonic improves cognitive function and memory;
- The resealable pouch makes the packaging convenient to use;
- The equivalent of 5 x 90 Bacopa Extract capsules.
Organic Brahmi Powder made by Just Jaivik – while not as popular as some of its competitors, this Bacopa extract averages 4.6 stars out of 5.0 on Amazon.
Organic Brahmi Powder claimed benefits include:
- USDA Organic Certified;
- Excellent source of Bacopa Monnieri;
- It supports brain functions and cognitive health.
There is no question that Bacopa Monnieri is one of the most popular Ayurvedic ingredients available today. It’s a powerful compound that doesn’t really need support from other ingredients to work and improve your cognitive health as advertised.
So the Banyan approach of making an herbal supplement that works entirely based on the strengths of this plant looks like a winning approach to us.
Nevertheless, additional clinical research is still required, as some Brahmi benefits have not been 100% proven by science. Furthermore, Bacopa Monnieri might interact with medications, including those that act on neurotransmitters, the reason why we advise caution when taking this dietary supplement.
Frequently Asked Questions
ORDER AT AMAZON
Sign up for Amazon Prime and enjoy Amazon’s low prices with fast, FREE delivery, and up to 90% OFF to over 50 million products.
- Russo A. and Borrelli F. – Bacopa monniera, a reputed nootropic plant: an overview. Published in April 2005. Retrieved on January 22, 2021. [Source]
- Khansari N., Shakiba Y., and Mahmoudi M. – Chronic inflammation and oxidative stress as a major cause of age-related diseases and cancer. Published in January 2009. Retrieved on January 22, 2021. [Source]
- Tamara Simpson, Matthew Pase, and Con Stough – Bacopa monnieri as an Antioxidant Therapy to Reduce Oxidative Stress in the Aging Brain. Published on August 27, 2015. Retrieved on January 22, 2021. [Source]
- Sultana R., Pierluigi M., Butterfield D.A. – Lipid peroxidation triggers neurodegeneration: a redox proteomics view into the Alzheimer disease brain. Published in September 2013. Retrieved on January 22, 2021. [Source]
- Vollala V.R., Upadhya S., and Nayak S. – Enhancement of basolateral amygdaloid neuronal dendritic arborization following Bacopa monniera extract treatment in adult rats. Published in 2011. Retrieved on January 22, 2021. [Source]
- Peth-Nui T., Wattanathorn J., Muchimapura S., Tong-Un T., Piyavhatkul N., Rangseekajee P., Ingkaninan K., and Vittaya-Areekul S. – Effects of 12-Week Bacopa monnieri Consumption on Attention, Cognitive Processing, Working Memory, and Functions of Both Cholinergic and Monoaminergic Systems in Healthy Elderly Volunteers. Published on December 18, 2012. Retrieved on January 22, 2021. [Source]
- Rai D., Bhatia G., Palit G., Pal R., Singh S., and Singh H.K. – Adaptogenic effect of Bacopa monniera (Brahmi). Published in July 2003. Retrieved on January 22, 2021. [Source]
- Banyan Botanicals Bacopa Powder Amazon Store Page. Retrieved on January 22, 2021. [Source]
- Banyan Botanicals Official Website. Retrieved on January 22, 2021. [Source]