USANA BiOmega is a concentrated source of Omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil and Vitamin D for heart, brain, and eye support. As no healthy nutritional program is complete without a high-quality source of Omega-3s, BiOmega may be a good choice for those looking to supplement with EPA and DHA.
Eating fatty fish at least twice a week is one way to boost your intake of Omega-3. But for those who can’t, supplementing with USANA BiOmega every day makes it easy to get plenty of Omega-3s.
This BiOmega review will answer some commonly asked questions about the company and the product. Our BiOmega review will analyze the supplement and give you accurate information on potential benefits, side effects, effectiveness, price, where to buy it, and what users think about the product.
First, this Omega-3 supplement is made with a concentrated dose of premium quality, purified fish oil to deliver a multitude of health benefits.
Due to the quality of the ingredients and the excellent reputation of the manufacturer, USANA BiOmega is one of the few Omega-3 supplements that has received the respected ConsumerLab stamp of approval.
So what’s unique about this product? Let’s start by looking at why USANA is such a well-known company.
Everything To Know About USANA
USANA (or Usana Health Sciences, Inc.) is a Utah-based company that makes various nutritional products, dietary supplements, and skincare products.
Despite being a multi-level marketing company (MLM) – a type of business that’s not always praised by media and consumers, USANA’s products are quite popular in 24 countries where the company sells through a network of independent wholesalers (referred to as “associates”).
USANA product lines, most of which are manufactured at the company’s West Valley City facility, include USANA Diet & Energy (protein bars, reset meal replacement shakes, and Rev3 energy drinks), USANA Nutritionals (Optimizers, Cellsentials, and digestion/detox nutritional supplements), and Sensé & Celavive personal care (hair & body care products, skin treatment, and skincare).
The company is also known for its line of multivitamin supplements for children (read our extensive Usanimals review).
USANA contact information:
- Address: 3838 West Parkway Boulevard, Salt Lake City, UT 84120
- Phone: 1-888-950-9595, from 6:30 AM to 9:00 PM MST
- Fax: 1-800-289-8081
- Email: email@example.com
BiOmega Supplement Facts
BiOmega contains the following active ingredients per serving (2 capsules): Vitamin D3 200 IU, and Fish Oil Concentrate (total Omega-3 Fatty Acids 1,200 mg, EPA 580 mg, and DHA 470 mg) 2,000 mg.
Inactive ingredients include gelatin, glycerin, lemon oil, purified water, mixed natural tocopherols, and soybean oil.
The formula developed by USANA provides one of the most concentrated doses of DHA and EPA available. The fish oil is extracted from responsibly sourced, cold-water, deep-sea fish. On top of that, the lemon oil flavor helps reduce any fishy aftertaste.
Unlike many other similar Omega-3 supplements that use liver oil, BiOmega is a whole-body oil made from sardines and anchovies – small fish with short lifespans. Because of their short lifespans, sardines and anchovies are naturally much lower in contaminants than larger fish species, like king mackerel and swordfish.
They also come from regulated sources to guarantee quality. According to the company, the raw material (pre-refined) fish oils used in BiOmega are already lower in PCBs than practiced guidelines for Omega-3 fish oil supplements.
The fish oil is refined and concentrated using a technological process called “fractional distillation.” The chemical elements are separated at different boiling points and impurities during this process, and any trans-fatty acids are removed. What remains are the key beneficial components of the fish oil.
At the end of the technological process, the resulting oil is tested once again to ensure that no heavy metals and other contaminants remain, according to USANA’s strict purity standards.
How Much Does BiOmega Cost?
BiOmega retail price is $27.45 for a 56 capsule bottle (23 servings). However, the price may vary depending on where you buy it from. Some retailers (like Amazon) may offer significant discounts, plus extra benefits like free shipping or a money-back guarantee.
Where To Buy BiOmega?
You can purchase BiOmega from the official USANA website or from several online stores like Amazon and eBay. Because USANA is an MLM company, the supplement is also available in many local stores and a wide range of dedicated websites (run by distributors).
BiOmega Review – Pros & Cons
According to USANA, BiOmega works to protect your good health at the most basic level – your cells. Vitamin D plays a key role here as it works with EPA and DHA to support cell health. BiOmega may support:
- Cardiovascular health;
- Healthy pregnancies;
- Balanced immune response;
- Cellular function;
- Eye health;
- Brain and nerve activity;
- Joint and exercise recovery.
So how can Vitamin D help maintain optimal health?
Vitamin D’s importance for your entire body’s health and function is demonstrated by the fact that there are Vitamin D receptors on every cell in your body.
But the vast majority of people don’t get enough of this essential nutrient. The 200 IU of Vitamin D3 included in this formula may give you the extra boost of energy you need to get through the day.
EPA and DHA are also beneficial for cardiovascular health because fatty fish is vital to heart-healthy DASH and Mediterranean diets. Omega-3’s benefits for cardiovascular health have been analyzed in many clinical trials and controlled studies.
Following these studies’ encouraging results, the Global Organization for EPA and DHA Omega-3s (GOED) recommends Omega-3 intakes of 500 to 1000 mg daily. The American Heart Association recommends two fatty fish servings per week, supplementing with fish oil if needed.
Omega-3s are vital nutrients for maintaining brain health in adults and for healthy cognitive development in children.
DHA is the primary Omega-3 fatty acid found in the brain. Maintaining appropriate levels may help support cognitive functions, including electrical activity neurotransmission and normal enzyme levels. This becomes essential in your senior years. Reduced levels of DHA have been linked with reduced brain volumes in older adults.
DHA is one of the dominant fats in the nerve cells of fetal and infant brains. Scientists have observed how Omega-3 fatty acid intake during pregnancy is correlated with different cognitive development aspects in the child:
- Verbal intelligence
- Communication skills
- Visual recognition/memory
- Social skills
- Fine motor skills
But a baby’s need for healthy fats doesn’t end at birth. Research showed that uninterrupted Omega-3 supplementation throughout breastfeeding may further support cognitive development.
BiOmega Side Effects & Warnings
Adverse effects of Omega-3 supplements are usually mild. Mild upset stomach or flushing may occur. These effects are typically temporary and may disappear as your body adjusts to the product.
Severe allergic reactions to Omega-3 supplements are infrequent. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any severe allergic reaction symptoms, including itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), rash, trouble breathing, or severe dizziness.
I got mine today and have been using it for years now when I was in the Philippines, and now this is the first time I’ve ordered here in the states. And it’s […] Read full review
Honestly, these are just like any other vitamin. Only these are overpriced. I will be buying a generic next time. Another thing I noticed is it’s recommended to […] Read full review
I feel they cost too much, but I liked the reviews, and they give me energy; when I skip taking them, I have no energy. I also feel they help me from […] Read full review
When it comes to Omega-3 supplements, there are plenty of options.
Fish Oil 1000 mg, made by Nature Made, is affordable for those who don’t want to spend too much on a dietary supplement. Unlike USANA BiOmega, Fish Oil 1000 mg only costs about 5 cents per serving. The formula contains high-quality fish oil sourced from wild-caught ocean fish.
Omega 3 Fish Oil Triple Strength, made by Dr. Tobias, is one of the best fish oil supplements. According to Dr. Tobias, this potent formula offers up to 3 times more Omega-3 fatty acids in every serving using only premium quality fish oil sourced from fresh wild-caught fish. Omega 3 Fish Oil Triple Strength is the best-selling fish oil supplement on Amazon with 18,000+ customer reviews averaging a 4.6 out of 5.0 score.
Ultimate Omega, made by Nordic Naturals, offers 1,280 mg of Omega-3s and many variants and flavors to choose from. With over 9,000 customer reviews averaging an outstanding score of 4.8/5.0, Ultimate Omega is extremely popular.
There’s no question whether or not BiOmega is a reliable Omega-3 supplement. The high amount of EPA and DHA, plus the 200 IU of Vitamin D3, create a reliable formula that is likely to offer most, if not all, claimed benefits.
There are cheaper alternatives for those who don’t want to spend $27.45 for a 56 capsule bottle (23 servings) that may offer similar benefits. However, keep in mind that not all supplements are of the same quality. The quality and purity of the ingredients play a decisive role in the final price of the supplement.
Frequently Asked Questions
- USANA official website. Retrieved on February 3, 2021. [Source]
- Freydis Hjalmarsdottir – 17 Science-Based Benefits of Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Published on October 25, 2018. Retrieved on February 3, 2021. [Source]
- Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplements for Heart Disease – webmd.com. Retrieved on February 3, 2021. [Source]
- Ronald C. Kessler, Wai Tat Chiu, Olga Demler, Kathleen R. Merikangas, and Ellen E. Walters – Prevalence, severity, and comorbidity of 12-month DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication. Published in June 2005. Retrieved on February 3, 2021. [Source]
- Pao-Yen Lin and Kuan-Pin Su – A meta-analytic review of double-blind, placebo-controlled trials of antidepressant efficacy of omega-3 fatty acids. Published in July 2007. Retrieved on February 3, 2021. [Source]
- Giuseppe Grosso, Fabio Galvano, Stefano Marventano, Michele Malaguarnera, Claudio Bucolo, Filippo Drago, and Filippo Caracci – Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Depression: Scientific Evidence and Biological Mechanisms. Published on March 18, 2014. Retrieved on February 3, 2021. [Source]
- Annie T. Gintya and Sarah M. Conklin – Short-term supplementation of acute long-chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids may alter depression status and decrease symptomology among young adults with depression: A preliminary randomized and placebo-controlled trial. Published on September 30, 2015. Retrieved on February 3, 2021. [Source]
- Ruairi Robertson – 13 Benefits of Taking Fish Oil. Published on December 18, 2018. Retrieved on February 3, 2021. [Source]
- Janice K. Kiecolt-Glaser, Martha A. Belury, Rebecca Andridge, William B. Malarkey, and Ronald Glaser – Omega-3 supplementation lowers inflammation and anxiety in medical students: a randomized controlled trial. Published in November 2011. Retrieved on February 3, 2021. [Source]
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids – Cleveland Clinic. Retrieved on February 3, 2021. [Source]
- Should you be taking an omega-3 supplement? – Harvard Medical School. Published in April 2019. Retrieved on February 3, 2021. [Source]
- Yvette Brazier – Can fish oils and omega-3 oils benefit our health? Published on December 20, 2017. Retrieved on February 3, 2021. [Source]
- 7 Things To Know About Omega-3 Fatty Acids – National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. Retrieved on February 3, 2021. [Source]
- USANA Health Sciences – wikipedia.org. Retrieved on February 3, 2021. [Source]
- Tyler Barker, Vanessa T. Henriksen, Thomas B. Martins, Harry R. Hill, Carl R. Kjeldsberg, Erik D. Schneider, Brian M. Dixon, and Lindell K. Weaver – Higher serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations associate with a faster recovery of skeletal muscle strength after muscular injury. Published in April 2013. Retrieved on February 3, 2021. [Source]