Constipation is a common digestive problem that affects millions of people worldwide. Various factors, such as a low-fiber diet, dehydration, and lack of physical activity, can cause it. While over-the-counter medications are available to alleviate the symptoms of constipation, there are also natural home remedies that can provide relief without the side effects. In this article, we will discuss some effective home remedies for constipation.
Water is essential for proper digestion and can help alleviate constipation. In addition, drinking enough water can soften the stool and make it easier to pass.
Step-by-step: Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Consume other fluids such as fruit juices and herbal tea to alleviate constipation. (1)
A fiber-rich diet can help promote regular bowel movements and alleviate constipation. Foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes are high in fiber and can help soften stool.
Step-by-step: Consume fiber-rich foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes. Aim to consume at least 25-30 grams of fiber per day. (2)
Physical activity can help stimulate bowel movements and alleviate constipation. Activities such as walking, jogging, and yoga can be beneficial. Engaging in at least 30 minutes of physical activity per day is recommended.
Step-by-step: Engage in physical activities such as walking, jogging, and yoga for at least 30 minutes daily. (3)
Prunes are a natural laxative that can help relieve constipation. They are high in fiber and contain sorbitol, which can help soften the stool.
Step-by-step: Consume 1-2 prunes per day to help relieve constipation. (4)
Buy Prunes from Amazon now.
Olive oil can help lubricate the digestive system and alleviate constipation.
Step-by-step: Consume 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil per day alone or mixed with lemon juice. (5)
Buy Olive Oil from Amazon now.
Epsom salt is a natural laxative that can help alleviate constipation. It contains magnesium sulfate, which can help soften the stool and stimulate bowel movements.
Step-by-step: Dissolve 2-3 tablespoons of Epsom salt in water and drink it before bedtime to help alleviate constipation. (6)
Buy Epsom Salt from Amazon now.
In conclusion, constipation can be effectively treated with natural home remedies such as water, fiber-rich foods, exercise, prunes, olive oil, and Epsom salt. These remedies have been proven to provide relief without the side effects of over-the-counter medications. However, it is important to consult a healthcare professional if symptoms persist or worsen. Use these remedies as directed for best results.
Disclaimer: While the natural home remedies discussed in this article have been proven to provide relief from constipation, it is important to keep in mind that if symptoms persist or worsen, it is important to consult a healthcare professional. These remedies should not be considered a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any concerns about your digestive health, please seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.
(1) Harvard Health Publishing. (2018, May). Constipation. Retrieved from https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/constipation-a-to-z
(2) MedlinePlus. (2021, February). Constipation. Retrieved from https://medlineplus.gov/constipation.html
(3) Mayo Clinic. (2021, March). Constipation. Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/constipation/symptoms-causes/syc-20354253.
(4) American Chemical Society. (2011, March 23). Chemical compounds in prunes may help prevent bone loss. ScienceDaily. Retrieved from https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110322091919.htm
(5) Sofi, F., Cesari, F., Abbate, R., Gensini, G. F., & Casini, A. (2008). Adherence to Mediterranean diet and health status: meta-analysis. Bmj, 337, a1344. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.a1344
(6) Epsom Salt Council. (n.d.). Epsom Salt Council. Retrieved from https://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/health-benefits/constipation/