Sore throat, also known as pharyngitis, is a common condition caused by throat inflammation. It is usually accompanied by pain, difficulty swallowing, and irritation. While over-the-counter medications are available to alleviate sore throat symptoms, there are also natural home remedies that can provide relief without the side effects.
Salt Water Gargle
Saltwater gargling is an effective remedy for sore throat. It helps reduce inflammation and irritation, thereby providing relief from pain.
Step-by-step: Dissolve half a teaspoon of salt in warm water and gargle for 30 seconds before spitting it out. Repeat this process several times a day until symptoms improve.
Honey is a natural antibacterial agent that can help soothe a sore throat. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce swelling and pain.
Step-by-step: Add a teaspoon of honey to a cup of warm water or tea and drink it slowly. Alternatively, you can consume honey directly or mix it with lemon juice. (2)
Buy Honey from Amazon Now
Ginger has natural anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that can help reduce pain and inflammation associated with a sore throat.
- Cut fresh ginger into small pieces and add it to boiling water.
- Let it steep for a few minutes, and then strain the liquid.
- Add honey and lemon juice to taste and drink it slowly. (3)
Buy Fresh Ginger Roots from Amazon now.
Chamomile tea has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties to help soothe a sore throat.
- Add a teaspoon of dried chamomile flowers to boiling water and let it steep for a few minutes.
- Strain the liquid and add honey to taste.
- Drink it slowly while it’s still warm. (4)
Buy Chamomile Tea from Amazon now.
Steam inhalation can help reduce congestion and alleviate a sore throat.
- Boil water and pour it into a bowl.
- Place a towel over your head and inhale the steam for 10-15 minutes.
- Add a few drops of essential oil, such as eucalyptus oil, to the water to help clear your sinuses. (5)
Buy Eucalyptus Oil from Amazon now.
In conclusion, sore throat can be effectively treated with natural home remedies such as saltwater gargling, honey, ginger, chamomile tea, and steam inhalation. These remedies have been proven to provide relief without the side effects of over-the-counter medications.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is for educational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice. It is important to consult a healthcare professional before trying any of the remedies mentioned in this article.
(1) “Sore Throat.” Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 29 Jan. 2021, https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sore-throat/symptoms-causes/syc-20351635.
(2) Samarghandian, Saeed et al. “Honey and Health: A Review of Recent Clinical Research.” Pharmacognosy research vol. 7,1 (2015): 1-5. doi:10.4103/0974-8490.146666
(3) Mashhadi, Nafiseh Shokri, et al. “Anti-Oxidative and Anti-Inflammatory Effects of Ginger in Health and Physical Activity: Review of Current Evidence.” International Journal of Preventive Medicine vol. 4, Suppl 1 (2013): S36-42.
(4) Srivastava, Janmejai K et al. “Chamomile: A herbal medicine of the past with bright future.” Molecular medicine reports vol. 3,6 (2010): 895-901. doi:10.3892/mmr.2010.377
(5) Brouwer, Kim C et al. “Eucalyptus oil inhalation during pregnancy: safety of the unborn child.” Archives of Environmental & occupational health vol. 71,2 (2016): 79-83. doi:10.1080/19338244.2014.1003994
ORDER AT AMAZON
Sign up for Amazon Prime and enjoy Amazon’s low prices with fast, FREE delivery, and up to 90% OFF to over 50 million products.