Many weight management supplements today claim to support fat loss and boost your metabolism. But we all know that many of those claims are not supported by any science. And on top of that, some weight loss supplements can be dangerous even when taken as recommended.
7-KETO DHEA made by Healthy Origins, a relatively small company located in Pittsburgh, claims to offer extensive weight loss benefits without any of the typical downsides.
Can this dietary supplement really boost your metabolism? This review analyzes whether 7-KETO DHEA can improve your metabolism and if it’s safe.
Healthy Origins 7-KETO DHEA is a weight management dietary supplement. The formula includes 100 mg of 7-Keto, a natural metabolite of DHEA that is believed to improve fat loss, increase thermogenesis, and maintain healthy body weight when combined with an exercise program and diet.
Who Makes It?
This weight management supplement is made by Healthy Origins, a family-owned and operated business since 1996. According to the official website, the company has a commitment to quality and efficacy sourcing premium ingredients from reputable suppliers worldwide.
The majority of Healthy Origins products are manufactured using patented, branded ingredients backed up by decades of clinical studies and scientific research.
Healthy Origins currently makes a broad range of dietary supplements for bone, brain, circulatory, heart, immune, joint, digestive, and eye health.
Healthy Origins contact information:
- Phone: 1-888-228-6650
- Fax: 412-220-8760
- Mail: P.O. Box 12615, Pittsburgh, PA 15241
- Website: healthyorigins.com
- Email (wholesale): email@example.com
Healthy Origins 7-KETO DHEA Ingredients
Healthy Origins 7-KETO DHEA contains the following active ingredients per serving (1 vegetarian capsule): 7-Keto (DHEA acetate-7-one) 100 mg.
Inactive ingredients include microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable capsule (cellulose, water), calcium palmitate, and silicon dioxide.
Can 7-Keto DHEA Support Healthy Weight Loss?
Most weight loss supplements use a wide range of herbal extracts and other ingredients to promote healthy weight management. But not that many formulations use 7-keto-DHEA, a natural metabolite produced in your body from DHEA – a steroid hormone that functions as a precursor for the male and female hormones (i.e., testosterone and estrogen).
However, unlike DHEA, 7-keto-DHEA can be taken as an oral supplement and does not actively interact with sex hormones.
Getting back to 7-keto-DHEA weight management properties, most companies that use this ingredient in their dietary weight loss supplements will say that 7-keto-DHEA has been proven to improve fat loss and increase thermogenesis.
That’s not entirely true.
DHEA weight loss benefits haven’t been thoroughly studied. Some early clinical studies suggest that DHEA may prevent fat gain due to its heat-producing properties. However, these studies were conducted in mice. Researchers have only recently begun testing the thermogenic properties of 7-keto-DHEA in humans.
Only a couple studies have analyzed the effects of 7-Keto on metabolism. One concluded that 7-Keto may stop the decline in metabolism correlated with dieting and even increase it beyond the baseline, but more research is required.
Similar inconclusive results have been observed after analyzing 7-Keto’s weight loss benefits. Combined with a calorie-restricted diet, exercise, and seven other “support” ingredients, 7-Keto has been shown to result in significant weight loss. Yet, it’s unclear whether this effect can be attributed to 7-Keto alone.
Healthy Origins 7-KETO DHEA Price
One bottle of 7-KETO DHEA (120 vegetarian capsules / 120 servings) costs $37.65. The supplement is also available in smaller bottles (60 vegetarian capsules) for $21.33.
Healthy Origins 7-KETO DHEA can be purchased online in several stores like Amazon, Swanson Vitamins, eBay, Walmart, or KMart.
Side Effects & Warnings
7-Keto is possibly safe and has a reduced risk of severe side effects at up to doses of 200 mg daily.
It might cause mild side effects such as low blood pressure, dizziness, or nausea in some people.
It is also worth mentioning that 7-keto-DHEA supplements have been suggested to trigger positive tests for performance-enhancing drugs. The World Anti-Doping Association (WADA) has listed the supplement as a prohibited anabolic agent.
Therefore, if you’re involved in sports and subject to performance-enhancing drug tests, you should avoid using 7-keto-DHEA products.
7-KETO DHEA Review – Pros & Cons
This product seems to work as well as other brands of 7-keto that I have tried. […] Read full review
I like these because of the cortisol reduction effect, but examine.com says that oral supplementation is yet to have significant […] Read full review
Noticed a difference in toning from regular exercise. As I get older, I would have to work out more to see a difference. Now, I can […] Read full review
Other Similar Products
Before we conclude our 7-KETO DHEA review, let’s take a quick look over several other similar dietary supplements that may represent good alternatives for those who are not convinced by the benefits of this product.
7-Keto DHEA made by Jarrow Formulas is a very similar product offering 100 mg of 7-Keto DHEA per capsule. Jarrow Formulas is known for its quality products. It’s one of the most prominent supplement manufacturers in the United States. This Keto supplement is one of the best-selling products of this type on Amazon and has received over 500 positive reviews so far.
7-Keto LeanGels made by NOW Foods may be another good option for those looking for a Keto-based supplement. The formula developed by NOW Foods is a bit more complex. It includes two herbal extracts (Green tea and Rhodiola), 400 mg of CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid), and 15 mg of Acetyl-L-Carnitine as complements to the 100 mg of 7-Keto.
7-Keto DHEA Metabolite made by Life Extension is specially formulated to support healthy body weight & lean muscle mass and promote thermogenesis. It contains potent antioxidant extracts to counter oxidative stress. As for the price, this supplement is affordable at just $26.73 for a 60 capsule bottle (60 servings).
In general, a lot more clinical research is needed to fully understand the benefits of 7-Keto DHEA in terms of healthy weight management, fat burning, and thermogenesis. The clinical trials conducted so far showed mixed results, especially when 7-Keto DHEA is taken alone and not supported by other ingredients with known benefits for weight loss.
The supplement made by Healthy Origins is as basic as it can get: 100 mg of 7-Keto DHEA. That could explain why it’s not so popular. Other companies understood that 7-Keto DHEA alone may not be sufficient for a decent weight management supplement. They “updated” their formulations to include various support ingredients (herbal extracts, vitamins, antioxidants, and even amino acids).
There are some tricks you can do to lose weight naturally that doesn’t involve the use of dietary supplements:
- Avoid processed foods;
- Drink unsweetened coffee or green tea;
- Eat more fruits and vegetables;
- Eat more fiber;
- Exercise – cardio (jogging, running, cycling, power walking, or hiking) or resistance exercises;
- Add protein to your diet.
If nothing works, then you may consider using a weight loss supplement like 7-KETO DHEA or something a bit more complex with proven benefits.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Official Healthy Origins website. Retrieved on February 4, 2021. [Source]
- Krzysztof Rutkowski, Paweł Sowa, Joanna Rutkowska-Talipska, Anna Kuryliszyn-Moskal, and Ryszard Rutkowski – Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA): hypes and hopes. Published in July 2014. Retrieved on February 4, 2021. [Source]
- Qianxing Mo, Shi-fang Lu, and Neal G. Simon – Dehydroepiandrosterone and its metabolites: differential effects on androgen receptor trafficking and transcriptional activity. Published on March 9, 2006. Retrieved on February 4, 2021. [Source]
- M. P. Cleary – The antiobesity effect of dehydroepiandrosterone in rats. Published in January 1991. Retrieved on February 4, 2021. [Source]
- John L. Zenk, Tami R.Helmer, Laurie J. Kassen, and Michael A.Kuskowski – The effect of 7-Keto Naturalean on weight loss: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Published in April 2002. Retrieved on February 4, 2021. [Source]
- John L. Zenk, Joy L. Frestedt, and Michael A. Kuskowski – HUM5007, a novel combination of thermogenic compounds, and 3-acetyl-7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone: each increases the resting metabolic rate of overweight adults. Published in September 2007. Retrieved on February 4, 2021. [Source]
- M. Davidson, A. Marwah, R. J. Sawchuk, K. Maki, P. Marwah, C. Weeks, and H. Lardy – Safety and pharmacokinetic study with escalating doses of 3-acetyl-7-oxo-dehydroepiandrosterone in healthy male volunteers. Published in October 2000. Retrieved on February 4, 2021. [Source]
- World Anti-Doping Association (WADA) Prohibited List (January 2019). Retrieved on February 4, 2021. [Source]